The 6-9 year old child
- The 6-9 year old child strives for mental independence.
- The child wants to know the ‘why’ of life.
- The child wants to understand the mysteries of the universe and their place in it.
- The child will typically show an innate sense of compassion, justice and idealism.
- The 6-9 year old child’s questioning mind, active imagination and developing ability to reason and abstract, drives the child to want to discover more.
- In Montessori Primary, the child’s own questions provide the depth of their learning.
- 6-9 year old children want to belong to a ‘group’.
- Dr Montessori described this age as ‘the age of rudeness and serenity’!
The Montessori Primary curriculum
The curriculum is a holistic curriculum; it presents a unique ‘big picture’, stimulating the child’s imagination and demonstrating the interconnectedness of different areas of study. In the 6-9 cycle the curriculum is a mixture of explicit instruction and an opportunity for self construction.